Sunday, July 4, 2010

Curiouser and curiouser.....

Within the last week I read an article that explained two horrifying smoking facts to me.  These facts have nothing to do with death and illness, but explain a couple of things that I have experienced in my many past attempts to quit smoking.

Fun fact number 1, heavy smokers metabolize caffeine 56% faster than people who do not smoke.  That means that my ability to drink all of the diet soda and coffee that I want with no negative consequences, will potentially be coming to an end as well.  For those of you who have never had to quit smoking, one of the many withdrawal symptoms is insomnia.  That combined with fun fact number 1, makes me want to reconsider....but I won't...for now....probably....

Fun fact number 2, heavy smokers burn approximately 200 to 300 calories more a day, with no associated physical activity, than non-smokers.  Blurg!  So in addition to having to resist the urge to put food in my mouth to replace smoking, and cut back on caffeine, and go without cigarettes, I somehow have to find a way to eat less or exercise more.  You have got to be kidding me.

Not today though.  Today I am eating some smoky delicious pulled pork, cole slaw, corn on the cob, deviled eggs, blackberry buckle and homemade ice cream.  3 and a half days to go before I apparently have to adopt the attitude of a Buddhist monk.  Can't freaking wait! 

Happy 4th too.

1 comment:

  1. That's crazy about the caffeine. Maybe your body won't crave as much since it'll still be floating through your system?? I figured with the calories, but I think you'll be alright there. Before this blog I'd never read your recreational prose and it's good!

    ReplyDelete