Thursday, July 8, 2010

Drum Roll Please.....

I did it!  Survived day one relatively unscathed, and so has everyone around me so far.  When I woke up this morning I had talked myself back into quitting today, and was in a remarkably good mood.  The fine mood hung on until about 3:30 when I discovered I was incredibly out of my element.  I hadn't been outside enough.  I still smelled like I did after I had showered (no eau de smoke).  My brain was getting groggy from lack of chemical stimulation.  Then I remembered that I still had an emergency cigarette in my brief case that had been stashed away the last time I attempted to quit (approximately three years ago).  So I fished it out of the pen pocket in the briefcase and immediately crushed it and threw it in the trash. I came home and dumped out the ash trays and put them out of sight.  So I'm still off the smokes.  Almost 24 hours, and counting.  So far so good, but that is the honeymoon stage for you.  I survived the meeting at the bar after work with only diet soda.

I don't really feel myself, but not too bad either. Sort of like a fish who just recently found myself flopping on the beach.  Still plenty of water in the gills. As the water begins to recede, hopefully I don't panic and try to throw myself back into the lake.  I hope those of you who know my general attitude toward the fish are duly amused by my little analogy.

Tomorrow I will attempt to find something new to do after work on my quest to find some new favorite things.  Day One, accomplished.

2 comments:

  1. You can do it!! Do you want to try an early morning/evening foothills stroll? Dan will be okay with the kids for an hour and a half.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Nikki. I am booked up in the mornings, mostly sleeping in and then going to Saturday market with my boy. I was thinking that we should get your boys in the pool soon though. What are your afternoons like this weekend?

    ReplyDelete