Monday, July 19, 2010

Some Really Big Numbers.

I've been smoking for eighteen years, give or take a few weeks.  Let's do the math, using eighteen years as the rough round number.

One pack a day for 18 years = 6,570 packs of cigarettes.

There are twenty cigarettes in each pack = 131,400 individual cigarettes smoked.

During the time that I have been a smoker cigarettes have increased in price from about $2 a pack to a whopping $5 a pack.  So I chose a rough figure in the middle, $3.75 a pack = $24,637.50 spent on cigarettes, roughly.

Here is the kicker, I approximate that it takes about 5 minutes to smoke an entire cigarette, although that may be a little on the long side.  In any event, if I multiply 5 minutes by 131,400, divide that by 60 and divide that by 24, the answer is 365.  I have spent approximately one whole year of my life with a cigarette hanging out of my mouth.



So, well...., there's that.  That's all the math I choose to do today.

No comments:

Post a Comment